[okfn-coord] OKF/LSE application for COMMUNIA workshop, March 2009

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Aug 21 10:38:48 UTC 2008

Thanks for your message Pro!

Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:
> I think this is a good idea, but we need to differentiate from what
> will happen in Amsterdam in October, which is also very data driven.

I was under the impression that the October workshop was about
copyrighted works that had passed into the public domain. Certainly the
language is mostly about 'works' and 'authors' - and seem to be sessions
on Google books, representation from the library sector, etc. There is
mention of CC0, but I got the impression that this was mostly in
relation to waiving rights in works whose copyright status might not be
clear (e.g. photos/scans of PD works).

> Do you think we could move more towards the idea of the common
> information environment for the public sector and include both science
> (data) and the cultural sector (museums, libraries, archives, art). We
> could have people from BL, BBC, MLA, JISC etc present as well.

I think we could emphasise both: open data as an important part of
building a common information environment (for the public sector)?

Rights in data are really important in both science and the cultural
sector - especially regarding things like bibliographic data, of which
we have very little that is open. This is arguably crucial for building
an information environment in the cultural sector that is linked
together and is well plumbed. There is lots of talk in the organisations
you mention of open standards for metadata, but not so much of making
the material itself available for others to build on. Arguably a
'permission culture' from protecting potential revenue streams in
copyrightable digital objects (texts, images, media) extends to the
sharing of data that describes these objects.

Perhaps it would be best to present rights in data as one aspect of
building a common information environment. If we went down this route,
what other things could I mention?

I agree it would be great to get folks from BL, BBC, MLA, JISC in a room
together - under the auspices of a network for the digital public domain!

> Is there a chance some of us meeting in London next week to discuss it?

I'm currently in Berlin - and will be until at least mid-September.
Perhaps we could arrange a meeting on IRC sometime next week? If people
are keen when is a good date?

J.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Gray"
> <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>

>>> 2. Abstract of the Workshop: topic to be addressed, how, etc.;