[okfn-coord] Notes on SC event (was Re: James Boyle on Advisory Board?)

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Jul 17 19:28:27 UTC 2008

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> I've had quite a bit of contact with him over the last few year. I'd
> say seem to be a good call for the Advisory Board (if he'd accept!).

I know! He was very complimentary about you and your work when I spoke
to him. (As were lots of people! Particularly Javier Hernandez-Ros of
the E.C.)

Jamie Boyle said he'd heard of the OKF - but asked me to send him more
details. He is keen to work with us on the Public Domain Calculators,
and with the project mapping open projects and organisations (with
COMMUNIA, the Shuttleworth Foundation, CC, LSE, etc.). He said he'd
certainly be happy to take a look at what we do and give his opinion on
what he thinks we should be focusing on. Incidentally the Centre for the
Public Domain also seem to fund some stuff too. They've just joined
COMMUNIA too, so this should be another good point of contact.

I guess I'll follow up, see how he replies and take it from there. If
his reply is broadly positive, I guess we should do the same as with
Mike for the OK Advisory Council and ask the existing advisory board?

I'll post some notes from the FKFT and SC events on the blog ASAP, but
below are a few notes about things that should probably stay on this
list for now.

Best,

J.

## Notes from SC ESOF Satellite event and FKFT event for OKF Executive Group

 * I had a productive chat with Carlos Morais-Pires [1], who is an
administrator on the information programme at the FP7 - focusing on
eInfrastructure and experimental technologies. He was in strong
agreement about many aspects of our approach with CKAN and at the OKF
and invited us to participate in a workshop in Brussels to start to work
out what kinds of things they should fund later this year.

[1]
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/istevent/2006/cf/people-detail.cfm?id=5734

 * Paul Keller of CC Netherlands and Digitales Pioniers (small grants
programme) said it could be possible to subcontract the OKF for some of
the work on the public domain related to the Europeana project
(europeana.eu). It looks like we're in a strong position to take the
lead on the public domain calculators project - so I suggest we step up
our efforts on this insofar as we can given existing commitments
(supporters, etc.) Mike Carroll, Jamie Boyle, Juan Carlos and others are
all very keen to be included in discussions about this.

 * Given that we're now network members of COMMUNIA, someone will need
to be our legal representative on the contract for receiving money (for
expenses, etc.). I'll keep you all informed about this. Meanwhile at
least 3 people from the OKF are invited to go to the next event in
Amsterdam this October (21+22). We should book hotel rooms for this
before August at the latest.

* Had lunch with FKI team. We'll continue to bounce emails back and
forth - particularly about Definitions, CKAN and other areas where we
should work together. They are particularly keen to contribute to
mapping landscape of open projects/organisations. Will also be able to
get legal contacts from FSF Europe regarding public domain calculators.

* Wilma Mossink, legal advisor to SURF Foundation in NL (roughly
equivalent to JISC) is keen to work with us. Interested in using OKD in
policy work - which they already allude to substantially in a licensing
policy document.

* Microbial Commons are interested in co-organising CKAN package party
for relevant resources.

* Vibal Foundation in Phillippines want to contribute to our projects.
They have 15 full time staff and 30 interns.

* David Prosser of SPARC Europe is interested in using OKD, in addition
to CC-BY recommendation, in the SPARC Europe Open Access Seal. The Seal
has been met with controversy but has also caused a fair number of
journals to change their license to CC-BY. He's based in Oxford and keen
to get involved with the local group there.