[okfn-coord] LSE IS involvement in OKCon

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Mar 13 17:10:33 UTC 2008

Hey Pro!

Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:
> Please forward me the announcement text you would like us to use and
> will forward it to the ISIG administrator asap.

I've attached this inline below.

Also available from:

  http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/material

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

J.

# Open Knowledge (OKCon) 2008: LSE, London, 15th March 2008 #

* OKCon 2008 - 'Open Knowledge: Applications, Tools and Services'
* where: Clement House (D602), London School of Economics, London, UK
* when: 15th March 2008 (1030-1830)
* www: <http://www.okfn.org/okcon/>
* register: <http://www.okfn.org/okcon/register/>
* wiki: <http://www.okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/>

Following on from the success of our inaugural conference last year,
we're pleased to announce that the second Open Knowledge conference
(OKCon) will take place on Saturday 15th March 2008.

The event will bring together individuals and groups from across the
open knowledge spectrum for a day of seminars and workshops around the
theme of 'Applications, Tools and Services'. Three main sessions will
focus on 'Transport and Environment', 'Visualization and Analysis' and
'Education and Academia'. In addition there will be an 'Open Space'
suitable for presentations and demos of general open knowledge related
work.

The event is open to all but we encourage you to register because space
is limited. A small entrance fee is planned to help pay for costs but
concessions are available.

### More Information ###

'Open Knowledge' is material that others are free to access, reuse or
re-distribute and may be anything from sonnets to statistics, genes to
geodata. In recent years we've seen the growth of successful open
knowledge projects - from peer reviewed journals to community edited
encyclopaedias - but what impact can open licensing have in education,
research and commerce? Is sharing the key to scaling? What kinds of
business models are available to open knowledge distributors and how is
open knowledge applied in different institutional and professional
contexts?

Furthermore, there now exist large and growing amounts of open material
but what kinds of tools are available to analyse and represent it? How
can we sort, search, store it to maximise its visibility and reusability?

We've also witnessed in the last few years the rise of web-based services
-- from social networking sites to online spreadsheet packages. While we
have definitions for open software and open knowledge, what is an open
service and what kinds of new services can be built using open knowledge?

### Want to give a presentation or demo? Want to help out? ###

If you have a presentation, demo or workshop you'd like to give, or
would like to help out with OKCon 2008 please either post on the wiki
(link above) or let us know by email on info [at] okfn [dot] org.