[okfn-coord] Aidinfo contract

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:14:24 UTC 2009

Hi Jonathan

I'm really interested in open knowledge for development, you're right.
And I was inspired by what I heard from Simon at OKCon.

I didn't speak to Simon much (I spoke more with Sara from
PublishWhatYouFund), but it seemed to me that he faced a conflict - on
the one hand, he knew that the best next steps for him was to organise
some kind of BarCamp, where he could let coders loose on some of the
data sets he's identified. On the other hand, he was inured in a
political situation with the various NGOs he was working with and
didn't seem in a position to "steal" data in order to create a proof
of concept product (the "ask forgiveness not permission" model that
was so successful for MySociety). If OKF were to get involved, I would
want to know that we could do something that helps this situation,
rather than become inured in it ourselves.

I don't want to over-commit at this stage (I've spotted your long
email in response to my 4IP work, so I know there's quite a bit
already for me to follow up on there). I've got very little free time
before mid-May, thanks to a rather exciting contract I'm working on.
But after this, I would be interested in parts of the
community-building aspect of the project, if that meant reaching out
to renowned screen-scrapers such as Harry Metcalfe, Julian Todd and
Rob McKinnon (some/all of whom may be on this list - hello!) and
seeing if they were interested in playing around with some data and
encouraging others to do the same. That would be contingent on there
being the political space to undertake such an exercise with regards
to Simon's partner NGOs.

Perhaps it's best if you and Rufus proceed with the meeting in the
next couple of weeks (and raise this issue there?) and keep me in the
loop. Then, come mid-May, if there's an opportunity to organise a
BarCamp, I can get cracking with that.

Let me know what you think, and also if you think there's some other
skill I can offer to help with this partnership that I'm not yet
volunteering, all the best

Becky