[okfn-coord] Little book of openness?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Wed Apr 8 09:01:27 UTC 2009

On 8 Apr 2009, at 08:16, Saul Albert wrote:

> Great idea Jonathan!

+1

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:08:28PM +0100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> It would try to cut to the chase about what excites people about open
>> knowledge - and present evidence, arguments, anecdotes and metaphors
>> aimed at the general public.
>
> It sounds like the Little Red Book of Openness - which is not a bad
> marketing ploy.

+1 here too...

> Perhaps it could be little and red, and decorated with this free
> wallpaper: http://chinabone.theps.net/~saul/docs/stuff/openpaper.png

Cool paper!  My thought though, related to your point below, is how
"openness" is defined.  The paper uses the non-commercial CC symbols,
which highlights something we should discuss in relation to the focus
of the book. NC isn't "open" under the open definition.  Also it might
be useful, as we now do licensing through the Open Data Commons
project, if we didn't over-emphasize CC, especially as I see that our
main strength distinguishing us from them is the stance we take on
"open" as not allowing for non-commercial restrictions (and no-derivs).

But maybe that debate around open is the very thing that should be in
there...

~Jordan