[okfn-coord] WhoKnowsWho @ the OKF (confidential)

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:27:32 UTC 2009

I agree entirely with Ian's suggestion that we seek legal advice.
Jordan, are you in aposition to give such advice, and if not, could
you - or any other member of the Board, help us seek some?

The crucial question seems to be to what extent any agreements we
enter into with FOAF/WhoKnowsWho would render us liable to libel and
other actions launched against them.

We should also look at best practice around these sorts of things. For
example, MySociety have received legal threats from MPs who feel they
are misrepresented on TheyWorkForYou. Their strategy for protecting
the organisation from these threats appears to be twofold - first,
they have a strict post-moderation procedure and an organisational
culture which prioritises any legal claims. Second they retain lawyers
able to engage legal teams thrown at their projects by adversaries.

Having said all this, I don't think we should dismiss the Ch4/FOAF
approach - it seems to be the sort of thing OKFN was conceived to help
with. The approach from Channel 4 could be a good opportunity to test
out the structure Rufus is establishing of a Project Committee
reporting to the Board.