[okfn-coord] Some business plans for discussion at next week's meeting

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:10:25 UTC 2009

Hi everyone

Following last month's Board meeting, attached please find a short
document with three options for a three year business plan. These are
not intended to be either final or prescriptive, they are merely a
starting point for conversation about where we want to guide OKFN in
the future, and how we might eventually finance a full time community
coordinator. If they are not helpful, there's no need to pursue them,
however, I hope at least that they can start an interesting
discussion. I have added discussion of these plans to the agenda for
next week's meeting.

For ease of reference, here is the main text from the document. If you
want the spreadsheets detailing projected income and outgoings for
each option, they're in the attached document. If you want the raw
spreadsheet I used to decide on the options (it lays out about 24
options), I'll gladly send it over.

The pretty picture on the front is taken from the organisational map I
was sketching out at last month's meeting.

Bests

Becky

Begin text//

OKFN Business Plan

This document presents a choice of business plans for OKFN for three
years, from 1 July 2009 to 1 July 2012.

The document outlines 3 options. Each option sets the organisation the
following targets:
*Increase income from OKCon incrementally, from £1,500 in Y1 (2010) to
£2,000 in Y2 (2011) to £2,500 in Y3 (2012)
*Reduce expenditure on infrastructure from £2,000 pa to £600 pa by the
end of 2009, through securing donated hosting.

Beyond these targets, the choice of options is as follows:

Option 1
*Increase paying supporter income to £3,000 per year (equivalent of 50
supporters paying £5/month).
*Obtain £25,000 in grant funding across the three years
*Obtain £45,000 in consultancy income, across the three years (tithed at 30%)
Option 1 allows for the employment of 1 part time community coordinator

Option 2
*Increase paying supporter income to £6,000 per year (equivalent of
100 supporters paying £5/month).
*Obtain £15,000 in grant funding across the three years
*Obtain £45,000 in consultancy income, across the three years (tithed at 30%)
Option 2 allows for the employment of 1 part time community
coordinator up until Q2, Y3, after which it allows for the employment
of this coordinator full time.

Option 3
*Increase paying supporter income to £6,000 per year (equivalent of
100 supporters paying £5/month).
*Obtain £25,000 in grant funding across the three years
*Obtain £45,000 in consultancy income, across the three years (tithed at 30%)
Option 3 allows for the employment of 1 part time community
coordinator up until Q2, Y3, after which it allows for the employment
of this coordinator full time.

//ends