[okfn-coord] OKF COMMUNIA expenses

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Mar 10 00:18:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,

The upcoming COMMUNIA workshop will include an afternoon session on
the WG for public domain calculators (WG 6). I have been in touch with
Andy Kaplan-Myrth and Jon Phillips about this - who are working on the
Canadian calculator, which is probably most advanced calculator so
far.

I have been told by COMMUNIA HQ that we can use some of our OKF
COMMUNIA budget for other participants. I think it would be valuable
to have either Jon or Andy to talk about the Canadian calculator - to
help catalyse our work in this area and to give a detailed
presentation on what they have done, how it fits in with the Open
Library and so on. What do others think?

Andy would probably be best, and we'd have to get him a flight from
Canada. The OKF COMMUNIA budget can generally be used for travel costs
associated with attending COMMUNIA events. I suspect it may be a
worthwhile use of those funds to have better speakers at our event -
as I don't anticipate we are likely to be bringing more than 2-3
people at once to other COMMUNIA events in the future. For personal
reasons I'd rather have a PD calculator session in London, where many
of us can easily attend - than, say, in Amsterdam.

My feeling is that the PD calculators are important - and the OKF is
in a good position to act as a 'central point of reference' for their
development:

  http://okfn.org/wiki/PublicDomainCalculators

--
Jonathan Gray