[okfn-coord] OKCon feedback

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Mar 31 13:29:18 UTC 2009

I don't know whether this would be a better conversation to have on
the public okfn-discuss list but let's keep it here for the time being
(maybe we can write saying thanks to everyone who came and some
thoughts for next year highlighting venue issues ...)

I myself was rather unhappy with how OKCon worked out this year.
Ironically I don't think things were that much worse than in previous
years but somehow things seemed not so good -- to take one minor item
we had roughly the same number of attendees but because the room was
so vast it seemed like there were many less.

Similarly, the structure of the programme with putting the main
sessions at start and end was a mistake (for which I think I was
responsible!). We should have stuck with our approach of previous
years of having main sessions at start and then having open sessions
later on -- that way the day doesn't seem so long.

I think we all agree that open space did not work out quite right:
largely because of the problems with the venue (but also that some
signups were very tangentially related to open knowledge). It is
really unfortunate that the original LSE venue fell through so late
and that this meant we didn't have two rooms for the separate Open
Space streams (as we always have done before).

I think it was also ultimately a mistake to have the workshop and
OKCon at the same time. My impression was that the cross-over was
fairly limited -- in fact we actually ended up with some conflict
(e.g. pro wasn't able to really to attend OKCon) -- and it meant the
main coordinators were really exhausted by Saturday.

So to follow-up Jonathan's comments (we already really know this):

  1. We need to sort out proper space earlier
  2. We need a proper programme committee (and should announce earlier)

That said we had around 75 registered (i.e. paying) attendees and 20
or so more who turned up so we had reasonable attendance and I think a
lot of people enjoyed the day. Thanks again to Martin and Becky for
chairing, to Jonathan and Pro for doing so much to organize the event
and Jo and Jordan for coming along. It was great to see everyone and I
think with some fairly minor tweaks we can avoid the pitfalls for next
year.

Rufus