[okfn-coord] Draft annual report 2008-9

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:53:17 UTC 2009

Hi guys

Great report - congratulations and thanks, Jonathan!

I think the tone of the report really suits OKFN - it is
straightforward and informative and gives a good impression of how
busy the OKFN has been in the past year.

Just a few small points from the wiki version, and one bigger point:

-Casbon reference to ERBI still in intro
-Events and Activities > Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) 2009 -
there is a link at the bottom to "OKCon 2008: Post-Event Information"
- should this be "OKCon 2009: Post-Event Information"?
-Footer uses "organization" (Americanised / Oxford convention) but the
document uses "organise, organised," etc (English / Cambridge
convention). I also note that we use the Oxford convention on our
homepage. Should we standardise this and use "z" throughout the
report? (I personally find reading "z"-ised words deeply, deeply
offensive, but will not bore you all with that...)

-The report appears to end abruptly. Would this be an opportunity to
add something about our aspirations for 2009/2010? I've cannibalised
the following from the minutes of last month's meeting and the
supporter email:

"This year, the OKFN Board has been strengthened with the addition of
new members who bring with them expertise in developing and broadening
the work of organisations in the open knowledge space. This is a
signal that we are looking to ground and expand the OKFN's activities
into the future, to grow as a collaborative community, serviced by an
agile, lightweight core. The Board's vision for the organisation is
one that supports and nutures autonomous projects that are loosely
joined by their endorsement and promotion of open knowledge, as set
out in the open knowledge definition. We look forward to presenting
the OKFN community with our plans to achieve this vision in the coming
year.

"OKFN will always be a not-for-profit organisation, built on the work
of passionate volunteers. But by making a small investment in our
infrastructure, we believe we can make this work go much, much
further. To this end our target is to raise £10,000 a year based on
regular donations. If you'd like to support us in this effort please
sign up to our pledge: http://www.pledgebank.org/support-okfn/"

I'm happy to be over-ruled by others - it may be that this is not the
right place for the support call, for example.

Cheers

Becky