[okfn-coord] Formal partner or 'branch' organisation in Germany

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 15 14:59:57 UTC 2009

2009/10/13 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Jo: I'd be particularly interested in your input here on the situation
>> with OSGeo.
>
> Yes - I'd like to hear what Jo thinks too!

While waiting for Jo's response, I'll add:

>>> and are wondering whether to create a German non-profit (specifically
>>> an 'eingetragener verein' - registered society or association), or
>>> whether there is another way they could be legally related to the OKF.
>>
>> Would they like to be e.g. the OKFN German chapter?
>
> Yes they would. And I get the impression they would like to be the
> OKF's official organisation in Germany (i.e. a higher level of
> formality/affiliation than an informal local group).
>
> Any suggestions for how this could work? Perhaps we could use this as
> a test case...

Echoing what I said in the previous email (snipped) I think we may as
well ask these guys to set up formal "OKF(N)" germany chapter. I think
we want to keep this fairly informal at the present but we probably do
need a proper MOU of some kind.

Kind of things for this to include:

* Agreement to uphold the principles in governance document (open
knowledge, tolerance, meritocracy etc)

* Nominating someone to be the official liason to OKF "central"

Rufus

[...]