[foundation-board] Project Coordinator job description

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 08:26:19 UTC 2010

On 14 August 2010 23:35, Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org> wrote:
> hi Becky, what a good start you've made at this, can we work on it here:
> http://wiki.okfn.org/coord/Project_Coordinator_Job_Description

Sure - I've tidied up the formatting a bit.

> On 13/08/2010 11:31, Becky Hogge wrote:
>>
>> What's missing? What's there that shouldn't be?
>
> Is there overlap with Jonny's efforts? Not that that's a bad thing to have
> mind-duplication in some areas. Imagining that Jonny probably doesn't have a
> job description, we could ask him to help us write one,
> especially if we are looking at trying to make his status "employment"

I think it's very important we loop Jonathan into this process. Have
you and Rufus had your conversation with him (per action at f2f
meeting last week)?

>> 1) What salary can we offer? How many of the projects (ongoing and in
>> train) have a project manager budget which would fill the project
>> coordinator pot, and how much of our operating surplus are we willing
>> to put in for the Board reporting work?
>
> I would say, remember reporting to world, not just to Board...
> would also try to project this a few years into the future - the project
> manager take of funded work *may* be unusually high at present. Related to
> this i would hesitate to offer full time at the start - and try and pick
> apart the bits that are "foundation work" and "project work" to help
> prioritise.

In which of the activities I've described would you see the PC
"reporting to world"? For example, would we expect him/her to take on
responsibility for publishing the quarterly management account summary
and minutes of the quarterly Board meetings? Or are there additional
activities that I need to add to the job description which have a
specific outward-facing function? Or do we just want to give more of
an impression in the job description that acting in the open is how we
function as an organisation and they need to be prepared for that?

Yes, perhaps we need to offer a one year contract with expectation of
renewal? We won't have an idea of what time commitment we need until
we've had a look at the project management load and budget for at
least the next six months (about a dozen projects were noted in the
f2f meeting last week) - see my next email!

>> 3) Are we happy for this to circulate around our networks
>
> I would agree with that. Rather want someone who already has commitment to
> The Cause thus already listening to OKF channels...

Indeed.

>> 4) Who will take part in the interview process? Who else wants
>> in?
>
> Depending when/where i am curious and would be happy to be involved.
>
> love,
>

> jo

Thanks, Jo!

Bests