[foundation-board] an interesting potential coordinator

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 22:31:20 UTC 2010

dear Becky, all, sorry for the lag here,
On 27/08/2010 19:32, Becky Hogge wrote:
> perhaps something to revisit?

Right, i'm contradicting what was agreed at the board meeting, having
had a few weeks to think it over - sometimes i think very slowly.

> To me, the project coordinator fulfills all the roles of an
> executive director minus the strategic role, which is delegated

This is kind of my problem - the governing structure that this implies.
Board as head, people as legs, etc. Are we serious in our desire to make
a "decentralised, networked organisation" in which case is hiring
someone to be in the centre, a good place to start?

However for once rather than talk abstract/structural/philosophical
stuff i would like to *try* to stay pragmatic - looking at OKF's
operational needs and trying to work from there.

To me it seems clear that CKAN could really use a project manager who
isn't Rufus, thereby freeing up his time, as for WDMMG i don't know how
long that has left to run, funded, or how much marshalling the community
will need after the money goes.

Sysadmin - lots of stuff getting dropped on the floor, no clear
responsibility for things outside of projects, lots of time-consuming
firefighting. "Squeaky wheel gets the grease", i am told; i get enough
of that in my work-day life in an inefficient hierarchical structure
which seems to have great difficulty in taking decisions...

> hopes that you would not share.

I'm never sure what i think, which may not be much help ;) but i hope i
am a bit clearer now...

I still don't see that coordination and project management are the same
role, it wasn't clear to me at the F2F meeting that this was certainly
the case.

It seems to me that hiring a few people for less time over time
represents less risk to us and more spreading of responsibility...

love,

jo