[foundation-board] Wikileaks blog post?

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:13:31 UTC 2010

Hey, maybe I'm wrong - you have a better handle on what's being talked
about in this space than me. I guess i just have no idea what would be
in such a post...

I found this post a very good articulation of my own confusion:
http://whimsley.typepad.com/whimsley/2010/12/wikileaks-shines-a-light-on-the-limits-of-techno-politics.html

On 8 December 2010 17:14, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> Thanks Becky. Okay. Agreed. Lets not do anything (yet).
>
> A few links:
>
> News:
> http://blog.zeit.de/politik-nach-zahlen/2010/12/01/wikileaks-und-offene-daten-%E2%80%93-zwei-seiten-einer-medaille_2686
> http://www.mg.co.za/article/2010-12-08-taking-the-wiki-out-of-state-secrecy
> http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2010/12/the-limits-to-openness/index.htm
>
> Blogs:
> http://www.csedev.com/wikileaks-endangers-open-data/
> http://anthonydwilliams.com/2010/11/29/could-wikileaks-set-back-open-government/
> http://eaves.ca/2010/12/02/wikileaks-and-the-coming-conflict-between-closed-and-open/
> http://govinthelab.com/wikileaks-is-a-blow-to-open-government/
> http://www.ccc.de/de/updates/2010/informationsfreiheit-im-netz
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, just read the first few results for "wikileaks open data" on
>> Google and "wikileaks"+"open data" on Google News. It all seems to
>> converge around a post from 30 November
>> http://barryjogorman.com/blog/what-does-wikileaks-mean-for-open-data-initiatives/
>>
>> It doesn't look too serious to me yet and my feeling is we should sit
>> this one out for now, and wait to see if things get worse (not much
>> activity since end of last month, AFAICT). As ever, I'm happy to be
>> ignored/over-ruled.
>>
>> You might also like to run your concerns by Kathryn Corrick, who has a
>> good PR head for these sorts of things.
>>
>> I'm going offline for the rest of the day, so if I don't respond, I'm
>> not ignoring you, I promise. I'm available on the mobile if you want
>> to talk anything over.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Becky
>>
>> On 8 December 2010 13:58, Becky Hogge <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jonathan
>>>
>>> Can you send some links to some of the stuff you're seeing?
>>>
>>> Until I see the extent of the damage, I would err on the side of not
>>> posting, for two reasons:
>>>
>>> 1) It might encourage a "me think she doth protest too much" interpretation
>>> 2) It might necessitate an explicit statement of OKF policy on