[foundation-board] Approval for purchase of accountancy software

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Jul 31 15:43:56 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I think it is clear we need some proper accounting/budgeting software
and I am planning to purchase some online service solution. It will
probably be proprietary because no opensource option looks up to it.
Issues:

a) any objections on me going ahead and incurring this expenditure
(probably £200-500 in first year)
b) Any suggestions on what to use? (summary of research so far below)
   * At the moment I'm planning to evaluate xero, kashoo and clearbooks

I need to have a decision by Tuesday as Wednesday I start with PA/AA
on sorting out OKF books.

Rufus

Requirements:
  * Open-source?
  * Not ERP - just personal accounting
  * But reasonably sophisticated:
    * Double-entry
    * Multiple currencies

Detailed Comparison:
http://www.softwareshortlist.com/products/accounting_software_reviews.html

Top options (based on looking around and comparison):
  http://www.xero.com/pricing/ ~£24 / month
  http://www.clearbooks.co.uk/pricing/ - £15/£10 / month
    * UK VAT and Companies stuff
  http://kashoo.com/ ~ $10 / month
    * unlimited users
  http://www.brightpearl.co.uk/pricing-c-925.html ~ £20 / month (for
most basic -- 1 user)

Others considered:

  http://www.freshbooks.com - invoicing only

*Nothing* open-source that i can see (some erp solutions but all clunky)

http://www.nmqb.co.uk/open-source-billing-applications/