[okfn-coord] Revenue share changes in WDMMG 4IP deal

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Mar 3 15:33:20 UTC 2010

Dear All,

One of the things raised (by Jordan among others) in our earlier
discussion of the 4IP WDMMG proposal was the revenue share clause
(Schedule 5).

Originally this was 50% of all revenue generated from the project.
This seemed very high, especially in relation to consultancy. I went
back with shares based on the type of revenue (consultancy, sales
etc). 4IP have responded with the proposal to reduce the rate to 30%
but with no customization by revenue type (see full email below for
more info).

Do we accept this or try negotiating further about this?

I should say that I spoke with them at some length about this today on
a conference call. The basic issue is that none of us know what (if
any) revenue will be generated by the project and what type of revenue
it will be. Their feeling is that:

a) 30% is livable as an additional cost on most consultancy (and will
encourage to be more "realistic" in our charging -- most
non-for-profits undercharge they think)
b)  if it is not reasonable it will be possible can re-negotiate once
actual costs become clear (though this is an informal statement of
this fact not a formal one and C4/4IP could always refuse).

I'm dubious how much mileage we going to get negotiating this further.
The down-side of too high a rate is:

a) we don't make as much money as we would if we get further work in
relation to this project -- but I would note we are not-for-profit :)
and the only purpose of that money would be to pay our own costs or
develop the project further -- note that further investment in the
project is covered by a separate clause, see second section of email
below).

b) we lose some people we could do further work with this on because
we have to charge too high a fee

Please let me know your thoughts.

BTW: this is the last remaining issue before we can sign the contract
with them. (There is an issue about personnel relating to engaging a
User Experience expert but following from phone con today it looks
like this resolvable and they have happy for this to be resolved once
the contract has been signed).

Regards,

Rufus