[foundation-board] URGENT: Problems with a specific individual and OKF projects

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Nov 15 14:35:41 UTC 2010

One of the main issues currently, as I see it, is that Paola is
claiming that part of LOD2 is her idea (despite the fact that work in
this area had been underway for years before she mentioned it to us),
and hence thinks that she is entitled to funding from this project.
She's also spoken to Soeren (project lead) and Stefano (project
officer at EC), and is now posting to the open-government list more,
asking people to start contributing to her project (portraying herself
as part of OKF and the project as part of OKF/LOD2).

She is also emailing people directly insinuating fraud, mismanagement,
and high probability of project failure based on OKF's incompetence,
and on the basis of 'internal issues'. All of these allegations can of
course be pretty damaging to the OKF's reputation, and the fact that
they aren't true won't prevent/mitigate this damage to people who
don't know the OKF. (E.g. bad rumours about a person can be damaging
even if they have no basis in reality.)

The problem initially was that she was claiming to have intimate
knowledge of problems that weren't public leaked to her from a board
member (Jo). She continues to say that lots of insiders and folks
within the community share her view that much of the OKF's work is not
'fit for purpose' (though its not clear who these people are, or, more
importantly, what the issues are). Again: these can still be damaging
even if they are vague, ill-conceived or predicated on
misunderstanding.

Allegations and misunderstandings aside, I'm concerned that her
manner, style and tone on several of our strategically important lists
(e.g. the open-goverment list is for a very young community and is one
of the most comprehensive lists of people interested in open gov data
in the world), will make people stop following, start filtering or
start forking. I know it should be a sign of the 'robustness' of our
community that we should deal with this kind of thing etc, but it is
very early days and at the moment I'm just frustrated that I've been
working really hard to get people on several lists (especially
open-government), things are starting to go really well, and I don't
want Paola to disincentive people, which could very easily happen.

Sorry this is written in haste. Hope its coherent. If I had more time
I would write a shorter letter, etc.