[foundation-board] Fwd: [Board] board-priv posting policy

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:22:36 UTC 2010

I forward this message to the okfn-governance list because it describes
a policy for keeping Board communications in a public forum wherever
possible, that is working out for OSGeo reasonably well in practise.

The situation differs from that of OKF in that OSGeo, as many of its
membership run their own small businesses, does not take on project work
directly, so as to not create conflict of interest between the
Foundation and its members.

As OKF is bidding for, and taking on, project work, there seems to be
necessarily a bit more traffic on the Board list concerning early-stage
bids and so on.

Regardless, adhering where possible to a policy more like the below
should be desirable - I want to encourage other Board members to talk
more in public about the decisions we are making on behalf of OKF.
This was a consistent informal policy back in the day when OKF was a
purely volunteer project and community-led effort - to use private lists
as minimally as possible and talk in public as much as possible.