[foundation-board] an interesting potential coordinator

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 00:43:07 UTC 2010

On 31/08/2010 14:22, Ian Brown wrote:
> I would be *extremely* concerned at leaving in place the current
> disjointed structure -- it is just too easy for important issues to
> fall through the cracks if several different individuals are
> responsible for different pieces. That is the difficulty with the
> route that Jo has suggested.

Yes, it is clear that there are deep problems - too much is getting
dropped on the floor.

But i don't think hiring an Executive Director (because, this is what
you and Becky are talking about here) will help. Not only will it not
solve our problems, it will cause new ones.

Because documentation - publishing contracts, details of budgets,
deliverables, schedules, etc - all this is the responsibility of project
managers. If project managers do their job right, there should be
minimal need for a coordinator to do a lot of aggregation of information
for overview *by the world, not just the board*.

Do you really think that hiring a "black box" will magically fix our
structural/organisational problems?

OKF is modelled on the Apache Software Foundation, that is where its
structure comes from. Last time i checked, ASF did not have an Exec
Director. No-one can speak for the whole of ASF, said a couple of their
board members to me. So they hire in sysadmin and administration.
We are talking dozens of projects with thousands of committers and
millions in budget here. ASF has scaled without having to put someone in
charge of the whole thing.