[foundation-board] Fwd: [okfn-coord] OKF tasks and the cost of coordination

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 12:55:18 UTC 2010

dear Jordan, i take all this in the spirit in which it was sent ;)
I had a lovely holiday, thankyou, and lots to think about.

On 12/09/2010 13:06, Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
> I think that we the board should have a discussion before anything
> is posted there.

I am nervous about having governance discussions in a private forum.
Does not seem necessary to me. Cannot we start a public-archive board
list and keep the private one for stuff like contract negotiation?
Happy to discuss more in board-only context, but not secretly.

> to invest in further open knowledge projects.
> It's not a "tithe" or a "super tithe" it is the
> net after contracting costs.

The OKF just looks like another project. Of course the potential to
develop and adopt new projects too. The surplus is clearly intended for
support work across projects (sysadmin, some programming...)

> -- I and all the other board members are acting unpaid for everything
> that isn't project work.

Yes, so am i, but also chairing the coordination committee and wrangling
project documentation. I hope to help create opportunities for others,
but don't seem to be developing opportunities for myself.

> Yes, and speaking of communication,  I think the way that was raised
> to the CKAN list was counterproductive.

Over Will's shoulder i see a long conversation about CKAN,
technical, governance, in between, happening in private email because
of "political" considerations about who is listening on the discuss
list. So start a dev list and only link it from places that people who
really care about will get to. But get more minds onto the problem,
and encourage less the saying of intolerably rude things in circular
arguments in private...

I have yet to talk to Rufus...

love,

jo