[foundation-board] board public mailing list (Fwd: Re: [Board] have fun today, hopes)

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:54:54 UTC 2010

dear all,

It's fun to see a cabal of ex OSGeo board members wanting to re-engage
and to nudge around the direction of the Foundation.

I re-post the below here because it offers insight into why it seems
important to have a public board list on which old members remain and to
which anyone can listen.

I think we should have such a thing for the OKF board, a public list.
I guess we'd rename this list to okfn-board-private, start a new one
with this same name, show it on the mailman index with the other lists,
and keep talking.

Thoughts?

From: <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com>
On Sep 13, 2010, at 12:45 PM, ext Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> Agree totally that board list should be public and
> most board matters addressed to/by the board must be
> on the public board list.
>
> Would like to know how the board-priv works. Anyone
> can post to board-priv and only the present board
> members can read?

Yes. board-priv is just an email alias that sends to people;
it's not even a real 'list'. It is almost never used; in the
time I have been on the board, I think it has been used 3 times;
once for a contract, once for our IRS docs, and one for another
item that was requested to be private. Whenever possible, we
avoid using it for any length of time, and discussion is almost
universally on the public board list unless it's really sensitive
(and some members, like myself and Frank, will usually end most
emails on the board-priv list with "Can we put this on a
mailing list yet?" :))

-- Chris