[foundation-board] Modelling employment costs

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:46:57 UTC 2011

On 23 August 2011 00:17, Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> wrote:
>> On 22 Aug 2011, at 19:49, Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
>> * It looks like the models are based around the employment costs equivalent to maintaining paying people the same day rate, except as salary.  Typically being employed reflects a decrease in gross earnings per day over being a consultant due to the other advantages one gets as an employee (statutory leave, maternity/paternity leave, etc).  Do you have any thoughts on this difference in your model and how we might do budgeting here?
>
> Most on my proposed list are on pretty low wages anyway e.g. Lucy and Kat. Jonathan and I are on roughly £35k pro rata and would be justified in seeking that in a salaried position.

I think Jordan has a point here, Jason - without factoring in some of
the added benefits into a salary reduction, we're giving everyone
automatic pay rises. Also, my hunch is those are generous salaries for
this sector - I'd like to see you working from some more data on
equivalent positions in small NGOs/non-profits.

We need to act sensitively here, and I doubt that defining salaries is
a role for the Board. But the Board should be concerned about
maintaining OKF as a sustainable organisation, and keeping the right
balance between staff who feel valued and overheads that don't cripple
us every year to meet is part of that.