[foundation-board] Modelling employment costs

Jason Kitcat jason.kitcat at okfn.org
Wed Aug 31 00:37:14 UTC 2011

On 30 Aug 2011, at 14:49, Becky Hogge wrote:
> Are Employee NICs higher than NICs paid by self-employed people, or are you assuming that those who are currently
> self-employed are not paying their voluntary NICs?

Self employed NICs are lower than employee NICS is my understanding of the situation.

>> Of course staff will have more rights like paid holiday, parental leave, sick pay etc which is hard to quantify - we currently have very low sickness absences and I don't see that changing. People work for OKF out of passion more than anything else!
>>
>> Most of ORG's staff, who are all salaried, are in the £30-37k range apart from one part-time finance person and one events person who is a first-jobber.
>
> Interesting - that's changed since my time (back then we lived in a
> shoebox in the middle of the road, wrapped in newspaper, and we were
> lucky for it etc). I don't want to take this part of the discussion
> too far, as I said before, but aren't some of the folk on your list
> also first jobbers?

1 or 2 perhaps. If we feel they are good and we want to keep them (it takes a lot of effort training, getting them up to speed) then a bit more pay is worth the long term pay-off vs constantly recruiting replacements. It's enough to stay on top of growing demand!

All the best,
Jason
--
Jason Kitcat