[foundation-board] OKF-DE proposal

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Sat Dec 24 17:23:43 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

Apologies for being slow to respond, with the holidays I've been offline much of this week.

1) I agree that the budget and two year plan need significant work.  On the people costs, it's not clear if this is as an employee or as a contractor, and if they've factored in the extra costs involved. Also 250 working days in a year for someone's costs is actually quite high.  If you just deduct weekends and a minimum 20 personal days off a year you get 241 days, and that's without personal holidays factored in.

2) I, like Becky, do feel that it is important to have some goals set out in the document so we can evaluate at the end of the year. This is especially so that we can make sure we aren't just funding operational type expenses and are funding them in a way that encourages them to grow on their own.

3) I would like to make doubly sure this matches what we've agreed with Omidyar and would like to know the outcome of Jason's conversation on list once it's happened.

4) I do think that the idea of funding in separate tranches is good, and especially for having a matching grant.  We will need to clarify whether or not we match any funds up a set amount or whether they must raise a minimum amount to trigger the matching funds.

5) I'm still wondering as to the overall amount and how that fits in to our overall strategy with chapters. It still seems at the far end of what is being spent on other chapters, and so just wondering about being equal among the chapters.

6) On OKF's own strategy document / chapters budget, I would like to see some money allotted for us as an organisation to be better prepared to take on and nurture chapters.  I'm thinking that we may need additional legal documents or other materials or reviews put in place, and we may want to budget to pay someone to help with those tasks.

Thanks Becky for meeting with then while you are in Berlin…

Happy holidays!

Jordan