[foundation-board] Blog post to accompany publication of Board minutes

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Jan 10 20:22:39 UTC 2011

Hi Becky

Thanks for putting this together -- really great stuff! My only comment is:

>>  discussed three promising looking income
>> streams: consultancy projects (whose operating profits could be
>> "tithed" back to the community), grants, and fundraising from the
>> network.

Sorry to keep banging on this drum but can we please please erase "tithe" from our vocabulary?  "Profit" too as we are a non-profit.

We do projects that generate a **"surplus"** (not a profit) that we then use to support the mission of the OKF to promote open knowledge. It is not a tithe. We are not supporting the church and clergy with one tenth of our earnings taken as a tax. We are doing perfectly reasonable and normal contracting work that meets our goals of open knowledge based on our expertise and using any surpluses to fund our unfunded open knowledge projects.

Thanks!

Jordan