[foundation-board] New draft of blog post to accompany publication of Board minutes

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:37:56 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

Here's the new draft of the blog post that will accompany the minutes.
I've scaled back the mea culpa, exorcised the "tithe" language, and
tried to de-emphasise the surplus. Can people let me know whether I've
got the balance right? I'm particularly concerned to get it right on
the surplus bit.

I'd like to know a bit about when we're going to be in a position to

1) announce the new Project Coordinator
2) publish the latest accounts we're filing with Companies House

as it strikes me both are relevant to the reception this blog post is
going to get.

Looking forward to comments, best wishes

Becky

Begin redraft//

On behalf of the OKF BOard of Directors, today I've published abridged
minutes of OKF Board meetings dating back to May 2009. Although
minutes from the Board's two most important meetings during this
period have been online for some time, publishing minutes from
intervening meetings and conference calls has been slow-going, not
from lack of will, but from lack of time, as the Board have been
running to keep up with the pace with which open knowledge has
rocketed up the national and international agenda. Apologies for the
delay - we have resolved to do better from now on.

This set of minutes documents, if only from one rather dry
perspective, the growth and development of an organisation and
community that has achieved rather a lot in the last 18 months. It's a
story worth telling. In May 2009, the OKF Board met face to face in
the Cambridgeshire countryside for a day-long brainstorming session
about how best it could contribute to the network's future. Here, we
outlined a shared vision for the organisation as one that supports
autonomous projects loosely joined by their endorsement and promotion
of open knowledge (as set out in the open knowledge definition). We
looked in detail at compliance issues, sketched out projected
outgoings, and discussed three promising-looking income streams:
grants, fundraising from the network, and consultancy projects that
meet the OKF's goal of promoting open knowledge and generate cash
surpluses that feed back into the organisation.

That meeting defined much of the work that was to come. That Summer,
while Jordan Hatcher put in a lot of pro bono time cementing
compliance processes, I produced a selection of potential financial
plans, and Paula le Dieu worked up a more detailed reflection of the
OKF vision that would eventually be put out for consultation with the
community at the end of the year. In the meantime the OKF began
working with the Cabinet Office, 4IP and others (such as
farmsubsidy.org and aid.info), contributing legal and technical
expertise to realise various projects, including data.gov.uk and Where
Does My Money Go? Rufus Pollock maintained an overview of this work,
reporting financial and legal issues to the Board at monthly
conference call meetings, while Martin Keegan contributed accounting
expertise, helping prepare for the year-end accounts, submitted in
February 2010.

The following August, when the Board met again for an away day in
Cambridgeshire, the organisation it was discussing was in radically
different shape. Thanks to a number of ongoing consultancy projects, a
significant cash surplus could be projected. And the profile of the
organisation had increased dramatically. Rufus Pollock was on the
verge of accepting a year-long fellowship at the Shuttleworth
Foundation to continue driving forward the open data agenda. The
number of potential consultancy- and grant-funded projects had
multiplied, and now included significant EU grant funding on the
horizon.

It was all good news, but it did present the Board with a number of
new challenges. Firstly, the proliferation of projects combined with
his new role at Shuttleworth made it clear that Rufus could no longer
act as liaison between the day-to-day operations of the various arms
of the OKF, and the Board. So we resolved to recruit for a new role -
that of Project Coordinator. Seen as a compliment to the excellent
work conducted by Jonathan Gray as Community Coordinator, the Project
Coordinator would keep an eye on all contracted and grant-funded
projects and report back to the Board so that we could continue our
legal and finacial oversight role.

The second challenge was how best to manage the operating surplus to
secure the future of the OKF in the long term. As an organisation that
may well need to "run on empty" again in the future, what proportion
of this surplus should we retain as a financial cushion, what
proportion could we distribute back to the community, and how might we
go about doing that? Our attempts to respond to this challenge remain
ongoing, but at the August meeting we resolved to take an incremental,
experimental approach.

The third challenge is very much linked to the second, and is also in
some sense the driving force behind this blog post. Since that meeting
in May 2009 we have been acutely aware of the qualities that set OKF
apart from other organisations, and of our duty as a Board to maintain
those qualities. OKF is first and foremost a community, and thus the
Board's role in shaping OKF's future should be limited to maintaining
the financial and legal viability of the organisation that supports
that community. The Board has consciously avoided appointing anyone as
its Executive Director. We feel that the strategic direction in which
the organisation travels should be defined as far as possible by
active members of the OKF community.

As well as resolving to publish the minutes as soon as they have been
officially approved and adopted, and moving towards publishing
quarterly account statements, this year the Board will be focussing on
more ways to get the community involved in strategic decision-making
at OKF. We're already speaking with members of other collaborative
organisations, such as the Apache Software Foundation, about models
that we could adapt or adopt.

//ends
Forwarded conversation