[foundation-board] Inviting Ben Laurie to become a Board member of the OKF

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 08:47:45 UTC 2011

On 15 July 2011 13:13, paula le dieu <paula at ledieu.org> wrote:
> I think the only reservation expressed about Ben was his availability. This
> triggered the request for our minimum commitment as board members. I would
> have thought that if the board is in agreement re. Min commitment (for
> record I think it looks spot on) then we share that with Ben and ask him to
> consider if he is prepared to commit to the degree required. If he is then
> we issue a formal invitation.

Thanks for this Paula - I'll prod on the other thread to see if I can
generate some discussion/agreement on the minimum requirements.

> The only point I suspect we need to clarify is if the board is satisfied
> with the process of identifying and recruiting Ben?

This is a very good point. We should probably discuss this in the
context of working out proper processes for recruiting Board members
henceforth.

> Regards
> Paula
>
> On 15 Jul 2011 10:25, "Becky Hogge" <becky.hogge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, Jason
>>
>> The only part of these minutes I don't immediately recognise is my
>> returning to the next meeting with a "process document" - is this a
>> document outlining the process for inviting new board members? If so,
>> I think that's a great idea, as I feel slightly tied in knots about
>> how to progress the particular issue of inviting Ben
>>
>> To re-articulate the specific set of requirements I think we have for
>> Ben, they are: guiding us through structuring an organisation that is
>> accountable to its community, drawing on his experience from ASF.
>> Based on conversations Jo and I had with him back in February, he
>> takes a pragmatic approach to formally-structured participation (like
>> voting rights, for example) from the community, but is quite bullish
>> on where we might go wrong if we rely too heavily on consultancy work
>> for core income moving forward. So I would expect him to act as a
>> "critical friend" voice, playing the role I feel we are losing with
>> Jo's resignation. He also brings some business experience.
>>
>> Can I solicit some responses from the Board on how they would like to
>> see this move forward?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Becky
>>
>> On 14 July 2011 22:57, Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Becky
>>>
>>> I've copied below my notes on that section of the meeting - full minutes
>>> to go on the wiki shortly...
>>>
>>> The discussions were inconclusive but I think your summation re meeting
>>> min requirements is a fair one.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Jason
>>>
>>> ****
>>> JW discussion on how to make board more open and accountable to the
>>> community. Worried about that getting lost in structure discussion. BH asked
>>> for steer on way forward with Ben Laurie who has experience on some of these