[foundation-board] Separation of concerns

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 22:57:52 UTC 2011

On 26/06/2011 14:54, Jason Kitcat wrote:
> Given the time and effort needed in running an organisation why would
> we want to duplicate that effort?

One factor here is the long-standing, though perhaps not current, aim
for the OKF to become a meritocratic membership organisation with an
elected board along the lines of most free software foundations.
The ASF is the original model for this sort of thing:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
And this does not seem compatible with the commercial operations.

Let me make it clear before i go past the first screen that I am not
*proposing that we do this now* - but I am proposing that we have some
discussion about it, at the next board meeting or before - based on as
much evidence as can be collected. And i would love to know what other
board members think.

> Lucy is paid out of project funds. Kat is covered out of surplus at
> the moment but it's up for review if she stays on beyond the summer.

Cool - this is a bit of a side-track as i'm not complaining about this
though it may seem as though i am.

> But I think w're ok: In terms of grant
> funding, we must answer to the board and the funders to explain how
> that money is being spent.

Well, it seems to me we must answer to the community as well.
If OKF wants to broaden the federation of projects - as steps are being
taken with Public Whip who are long-term allies and supporters -
then project leaders need to know how things are being run.
In some cases OKF is taking public funds (from the EU, from UK gov) and
there it does seem to be important to have public accountability.

> So far that has been grants
> and consultancy. What we propose is to further diversify income
> sources which reduces our risks and makes the OKF more sustainable.

Right, and i'm *amazed* at the recent progress and its scale.

> I think we are worrying about a problem which is not here.

Yes, i'm always thinking about those not-quite-visible problems.