[foundation-board] Big review of OKF finances, contracts, HR, etc?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue May 24 12:27:43 UTC 2011

I agree that we should try to make more stuff public - but not so
optimistic about how soon this will happen after speaking to Jason and
others about this.

One thing that we've been speaking about more and more is the (re-)
division of the OKF into:

  * The Open Knowledge Foundation - which takes on contracts, paid
work, consultancy, pays people and is legally responsible for
delivering on projects. The board is responsible for this bit. This is
the bit that Jason is responsible for making sustainable. And where
all the business development happens (e.g. doing CKAN customisation
work, etc). And it dedicates resources/time/etc to ...
  * The Open Knowledge Foundation Network - which is much more
autonomous. The working groups, and all the smaller projects are part
of this. This is basically 100% community driven. The executive group
and WG leads work on this. The Foundation gives it an annual budget to
spend on projects, events, and other activities as the community see
fit.

I am (obviously) most keen to work on the second part. I don't do any
of the money stuff, nor am I keen to. I'd much prefer that there were
dedicated people making sure these aspects of the OKF operate
smoothly.

What do people think?

All the best,

Jonathan