[foundation-board] Next Board meeting...?

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Mon Sep 12 16:45:12 UTC 2011

On 12 Sep 2011, at 12:34, Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> Hmm. I don't do Skype, either (proprietary IM protocols are not my thing).
>>

>> Ben - If you can solve our telecoms challenges for us you will earn immediate legend status.
>>
>> The challenge is the very diverse set of users we have - many of whom are not coders/geeks/techies and so many proposed solutions just do not work for them. A low barrier of entry is vital to ensure online meetings work for OKF.
>>
>> We have had many, many, many long email threads about free/open options and none have yet succeeded in ousting Skype.
>>
>> So - any ideas?! :-)
>
> BT?

Isn't fixed line telephony / POTS a proprietary technology?

We did investigate paying BT (and others) for conference call services at one point.  It's expensive, especially given our global membership, and we weren't able to negotiate a non-profit discount at that time.  I didn't see it as offering value for money as compared to our ability to use Skype or other services.  In any event, as we do have a conference call service for board meetings, that shouldn't hinder your participation in the board.  We often use IRC as a back up for it and not Skype.

Any inroads or suggestions on cost effective, global teleconferencing would be great!

Thanks

Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM