[foundation-board] Openness and licences...

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Wed Jan 18 07:52:30 UTC 2012

I agree with Rufus's summary -- thanks for pulling this together.  One small expansion:

On 15 Jan 2012, at 11:11, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> On 3 January 2012 12:00, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
>> It seems the Panton Principles give me an opportunity to summarise my
>> concerns in a nutshell.
>>
>> The Panton Principles define "open" as  “A piece of content or data is
>> open if anyone is free to use, reuse, and redistribute it — subject
>> only, at most, to the requirement to attribute and share-alike.”.
>
> Panton Principles aren't really the relevant thing here as they are
> just quoting the Open Definition:
>
> http://opendefinition.org/

Just to expand, the Open Definition is the overarching definition of openness for our work at the OKFN.  Within the scope of that work, we have a project called the Panton Principles, which are specifically looking at one type of material, data, in one specific field, science.  Within that scope and given a variety of factors (public policy, legal rights, ease of use, etc) the creators of the Principles all felt that copyleft was inappropriate for open data in science.

I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment, in spite of. or even because of, my work with Open Data Commons.

How we license our software is a different matter.  In the spectrum of "openness" within the OSD you have AGPL at one end (the most restrictive open license) and something like BSD, MIT, and WTFPL on the other end (the least restrictive open license), with public domain dedications being one step further off the scale.

The questions seem to be:

1) Do we seek to move the OKFN's licenses across several existing software projects (but most specifically the CKAN) from AGPL to a more "liberal" open license, and if so, why?

2) Can we even change the licenses for the projects in (1), and if so, how?

3) What default license should we use for new software projects, and why?

Thanks

Jordan