[foundation-board] board discussion: FC tasks and Chapters

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Mar 15 22:14:13 UTC 2012

Thanks for pulling this out into a separate set of proposals.  In the future, I think we should consider numbering them so that they can be debated or approved by item a bit easier.

I have several questions on all of the items below -- as I'm still going through the board pack and don't want to raise questions for points that may already be answered there, I will respond once I've had time to review the materials.

I'm happy to approve ITEM 1
only at this time.

Thanks

Jordan

On 14 Mar 2012, at 09:59, Laura James wrote:

> The following items relating to staffing have been pulled from the board agenda into email at Martin and Becky's request. I think that most of these require fairly straightforward approval/rejection, so I have set them out below in a form which I hope will make it straightforward for each board member to respond to each line item.
>
> Please note that as we have 7 board members, a majority of 4 is needed to approve any item.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Laura

ITEM 1
> Request that Foundation Coordinators to be set target to create role descriptions for all contractors and to review pay rates, both to be implemented before end 2012 (in response to issues detailed in Foundation Coordinator report)

ITEM 2
> Request that the board consider creation of a renumeration committee (in response to issues detailed in Foundation Coordinator report)

ITEM 3

> Request that the board to agree to the executive team dedicating significant time to strategy development in the near term as a priority, which may mean that other activities such as management of individual projects, conversion of contractors to employees, process improvements, etc, are put on hold or done to a very basic level for this period. This will ensure the strategy is developed as quickly as possible whilst maintaining basic operational management at a level similar to that offered during the first 2 months of 2012.

ITEM 4

> Belgium:  Chapter incorporation
>
> 1) Request for confirmation that we are happy to move to sign an MOU following the standard template https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x8hvgLhklXma7bS0dKgJL9Xs2-Q6xlWgu2JV3S-oJGg/edit  (Recommendation from Laura&Kat:  that we accept Belgium as a chapter. They are a robust group we've worked with extensively.  Their incorporation articles were reviewed by Laura and look acceptable within the MOU requirements.)
>
> 2) We have the option of nominating someone to their board as part of the MOU. Do the board wish to take this up and nominate someone, and if so whom?   (Recommendation from Laura&Kat: this is very much down to the board to choose, but we are very confident in the professionalism of the team not to need close supervision. )
>
> 3) Request from the local group for central funds to pay for travel costs for a high profile international speaker at a big event they are running http://appsforghent.be to help boost their profile. Speaker TBC.   (Recommendation from Laura&Kat:  accept this request subject to it being a reasonable amount & an estimate being received before we confirm. (funding from Omidyar chapter support pot))

ITEM 5
> Austria:  Chapter incorporation
>
> 1) Request for confirmation that we are happy to move to sign an MOU following the standard template https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x8hvgLhklXma7bS0dKgJL9Xs2-Q6xlWgu2JV3S-oJGg/edit  (Recommendation from Laura&Kat:  that we accept Austria as a chapter. They are an active local group and have been for some time.)
>
> 2) We have the option of nominating someone to their board as part of the MOU. Do the board wish to take this up and nominate someone, and if so whom?  (Recommendation from Laura&Kat: this is very much down to the board to choose, but we are confident in the competance of the group not to need close supervision. )

ITEM 6
> Switzerland:  Chapter incorporation
>

> 1) Request for confirmation that we are happy to move to sign an MOU following the standard template https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x8hvgLhklXma7bS0dKgJL9Xs2-Q6xlWgu2JV3S-oJGg/edit   (Recommendation from Laura&Kat:  that we accept Austria as a chapter. They are an active local group, we've met them and they seem competant.)
>
> 2) We have the option of nominating someone to their board as part of the MOU. Do the board wish to take this up and nominate someone, and if so whom?   (Recommendation from Laura&Kat: this is very much down to the board to choose, but we are confident in the competance of the people involved not to need close supervision. )

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

More at: <http://www.jordanhatcher.com>
Co-founder:  <http://www.opendatacommons.org>