[foundation-board] Appointment to OfCom Advisory Committee

Becky Hogge becky.hogge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:59:35 UTC 2012

Dear all

This is just a quick note to let Board members know that I have been
appointed to OfCom's Advisory Committee for England. The announcement
of the appointment is to be made in the coming days, and I thought it
would be polite to let you know in advance.

The role of the Committee is billed as "advising Ofcom about the
interests and opinions, in relation to communications and postal
matters, of persons living in England", however the new intake (I am
one of four) is intended as much to provide them with specific
expertise on the various areas of OfCom's work, with my contribution
being expertise on the internet and consumer and citizen rights. I was
head-hunted for the position, and talked in my interview about being
able to raise civil rights concerns about new policy at a productive
stage in the policy-making process (I was interviewed the day the
European Parliament rejected ACTA).

Time will tell whether I will be able to make any significant
contribution to the greater good through this channel, but I thought I
might at least give it a go.

Warm wishes to all

Becky