[foundation-board] MOTION: Trademarks for the OKF

paula le dieu paula at ledieu.org
Wed Apr 3 16:16:37 UTC 2013

Seems to be the day for catching up on OKF Board business.

I am with Ben. We need to be very thoughtful about why and how we are going
to police a trademark on "Open Definition". While I understand the impulse
(a deterrent and recourse to restrict future use of the term that we may
find inappropriate) I am not clear on why. Are we asserting that there is
only one definition of Open and therefore application of the term Open
Definition to any other text is inappropriate or must be endorsed by us? It
sounds like a big job to both defend the trademark (a necessary requirement
to maintain the trademark) and/or to endorse use.

Regards
Paula