[foundation-board] Informal Board Call 13th August 18:30

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 4 13:52:16 UTC 2014

Dear Board Members,

As you will know next Wednesday (13th August) is our regular board call
(not a formal meeting). We would like to propose *2 specific topics that we
could potentially cover* - see below.

As these are both important near-term items it would be great *to confirm
which Board Members will be able to make the call *so we created a doodle
poll where you can indicate your availability (I have split into 2 time
slots in case people can make only part of the meeting - please tick both
if you can (potentially) make both hours):

*http://doodle.com/mthg6dcgrsgky97g* <http://doodle.com/mthg6dcgrsgky97g>

Regards,

Rufus

1. CKAN Commercial Services

As the Board will recall, we sent through a paper on CKAN for the last
board meeting (though we ultimately did not have time for extensive
discussion). We also discussed the need to move forward rapidly both
because of the external environment and because of the time-frame around
the departure of our current Commercial Director (Irina). We would like
both to discuss briefly the general situation and to discuss some specific
points:

   -

   Getting an update from the Board based on their discussions with Irina.
   -

   We would like to allocate specific funds (up to say £10k) to perform
   market research and analysis. Is this sensible and acceptable?
   -

   We are considering moving ahead with some specific changes that would
   already give the commercial team a bit more “separation”, for example
   creating a dedicated bank account and possibly even incorporating a new
   for-profit entity (the latter would obviously require formal board
   approval). We feel this could be beneficial in providing greater focus for
   the team and also addressing some issues and could happen prior to deciding
   the exact strategic direction.

2. Executive Search and Recruitment

Points to discuss:

   -

   At the last board meeting the Board proposed appointment of a subgroup
   to oversee this work consisting of Helen, Jane, Tom, Karin. Has there
   been any discussion amongst the subgroup since the last Board Meeting?
   -

   Can we establish a rough timeline and any key milestones for this process