[foundation-board] Informal Board Call 13th August 18:30

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Wed Aug 13 11:23:42 UTC 2014

All,

There's been quite a lot going on in the various discussions around
strategy, organisational development, etc. I wrote up a summary of the
various matters to try to set out the state of things from my point of
view, which I attach here (both word and PDF).  It ended up longer than I
intended, which I think indicates the range of matters open at present and
the complexity of summarising them! I've pulled out a few notable points at
the top.  I hope this may inform tonight's discussion (and sorry this is
late!) or conversations in coming weeks.

Best regards,

Laura

On 4 August 2014 14:52, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear Board Members,
>
> As you will know next Wednesday (13th August) is our regular board call
> (not a formal meeting). We would like to propose *2 specific topics that
> we could potentially cover* - see below.
>
> As these are both important near-term items it would be great *to confirm
> which Board Members will be able to make the call *so we created a doodle
> poll where you can indicate your availability (I have split into 2 time
> slots in case people can make only part of the meeting - please tick both
> if you can (potentially) make both hours):
>
> *http://doodle.com/mthg6dcgrsgky97g* <http://doodle.com/mthg6dcgrsgky97g>
>
> Regards,
>
> Rufus
>
> 1. CKAN Commercial Services
>
> As the Board will recall, we sent through a paper on CKAN for the last
> board meeting (though we ultimately did not have time for extensive
> discussion). We also discussed the need to move forward rapidly both
> because of the external environment and because of the time-frame around
> the departure of our current Commercial Director (Irina). We would like
> both to discuss briefly the general situation and to discuss some specific
> points:
>

>    -
>
>    Getting an update from the Board based on their discussions with Irina.
>    -
>
>    We would like to allocate specific funds (up to say £10k) to perform
>    market research and analysis. Is this sensible and acceptable?
>    -
>
>    We are considering moving ahead with some specific changes that would
>    already give the commercial team a bit more “separation”, for example
>    creating a dedicated bank account and possibly even incorporating a new
>    for-profit entity (the latter would obviously require formal board
>    approval). We feel this could be beneficial in providing greater focus for
>    the team and also addressing some issues and could happen prior to deciding
>    the exact strategic direction.
>

> 2. Executive Search and Recruitment
>
> Points to discuss:
>

>    -
>
>    At the last board meeting the Board proposed appointment of a subgroup
>    to oversee this work consisting of Helen, Jane, Tom, Karin. Has there
>    been any discussion amongst the subgroup since the last Board Meeting?
>    -
>
>    Can we establish a rough timeline and any key milestones for this
>    process

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  *

*skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

*Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    A world where knowledge creates
power for the many, not the fewhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |
 @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>Open Knowledge Community Stories
| http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/ <http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/> | see
how people are changing the worldThe Open Knowledge Foundation is a
not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a
company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT
Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge
Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS,
UK.  *