[foundation-board] Omidyar Grant Agreement

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Fri Oct 3 14:20:14 UTC 2014

Jane's suggestion seems sound.

As an aside, we have a requirement for "review of leadership roles" in the
grant agreement - that might be something worth checking with Andrew,
Rufus, if you haven't already, just to make sure we know what they are
expecting there; it seems potentially to link with Jane's suggestion (in a
positive way).

Laura

On 3 October 2014 15:15, Jane Silber <jane.silber at canonical.com> wrote:

>  On 03/10/14 15:05, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>

>>  On a new point, can you share the language around the $75K for
>> executive search?  I'm asking because I believe we will spend less than
>> that. I'd like to see if we can get access to the remaining funds for
>> something else.  For example, it could be used to pay a search firm for a
>> new Technical Director, or A Business Development Executive, or a Finance
>> Director, or any other senior role that may be needed in the next year or
>> so.  Or it could be used to facilitate further org development.  The
>> language in the grant may allow for this already, or this may be a place in
>> which we want to negotiate some additional language.
>>

>  I'm pretty certain this 75k is earmarked for exec search and can't be
> used for anything else (though I note it is not clear if just one person).
> I can try and clarify further here.
>

> The relevant language seems to be in Exhibit B, which says
>
> " Grantee shall hire a recruiting firm to lead the senior executive
> search, to the satisfaction of the Grantor. Supporting documentation must
> be provided no later than 31 August 2015."
>
> It would be great if we could modify that to read
>
> " Grantee shall hire a recruiting firm to lead searches for required
> senior roles, with the pre-agreement of and to the satisfaction of the
> Grantor. Supporting documentation must be provided no later than 31 August
> 2015."
>
> That would leave leeway to use recruiters for additional searches, still
> time limit it, and still let ON approve ahead of time.  Advantage to us is
> that it doesn't throw away unspent money.
>
> Jane

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  *

*skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

*Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    A world where knowledge creates
power for the many, not the fewhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |
 @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>Open Knowledge Community Stories
| http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/ <http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/> | see
how people are changing the worldThe Open Knowledge Foundation is a
not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a
company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT
Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge
Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS,
UK.  *