[foundation-board] Draft announcement for Team and then Wider Public

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Sep 12 09:02:55 UTC 2014

Hi All,

At board meeting Friday there was discussion and then a decision re
drafting an announce to share with team and then wider public as soon as
was feasible (likely next Thursday at all-hands and then public post
following that).

My first-pass draft is below and feedback would be very welcome.

It is also available in this commentable google doc here
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/11WStzQDFRgHpdBTGRo2xKNsse9Xw1uVLLI9iIn9uxFE/edit#>
which
also contains an FAQ plus a different version of the announce that Laura
has drafted.

Regards,

Rufus

## Announce

For a decade Open Knowledge has been a leader in its field, working at the
forefront of efforts to open up information around the world and and see it
used to empower citizens and organizations to drive change.

Both the community and original non-profit have grown significantly and the
space in which we work continues to develop and evolve rapidly with many
exciting new opportunities and activities.

Today we’re announcing that our CEO Laura James is planning to move on to
new challenges and new ventures and that we are therefore seeking to
recruit a new senior executive to help lead Open Knowledge as it continues
to evolve and grow. This process is starting now, and will ensure the new
executive will be able to play a significant role in shaping future
strategy and direction for Open Knowledge.

Laura has played a central role over the last few years as we’ve grown from
a team of half-a-dozen to more than forty. Thanks to her dedication and
skill we’ve navigated many of the tough challenges that accompany
“growing-up” as an organization. We have been privileged to have her with
us and she will be sorely missed.

Our Founder and President Rufus Pollock will remain in post and will be
here both to help lead the organization in the interim and to work closely
with the new appointment going forward. Furthermore, Laura, is also able to
remain to in post as needed both to continue to run the organization and to
assist with the recruitment.

The management team will be continuing to lead the individual teams within
Open Knowledge through these changes and will help to support the new
leadership team.

We’re really excited to be embarking on this, and to have the opportunity
to prepare Open Knowledge for its next decade.