[foundation-board] CKAN Spin-out CEO

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 17 16:47:55 UTC 2015

On 17 August 2015 at 11:48, Jane Silber <jane.silber at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi Rufus -
>
> Not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for (if any), but this looks
> reasonable to me.  A couple questions for thought:
>
> - what will term of the contract be? I'm wondering about timings should
> the fundraising take longer than expected

We're currently planning on 3-6m and a maximum of 9m (i.e. end of June
2016). Obviously, we want to move as fast as possible.

> - is the transition to post-raise CEO guaranteed in the initial contract?
> Again, I'm wondering about the (hopefully unlikely) situation in which
> Sebastian isn't the right person to carry the spinout forward.

We do have the reversion clause which is entirely at our discretion (up
until the point where we close new funding).

> - have you agreed performance targets for the initial period? (e.g.,
> amount raised, by when, in exchange for what equity). I am less concerned
> here about the personnel mgt of Sebastian himself but rather what's the
> commitment of OKF to this venture.  For example, what are we investing (in
> Sebastian, in travel, in marketing, in a roadshow, in business planning,
> etc) and how will we bound/measure whether this initial phase is
> working/has worked.

This is a good point. Obviously, he has reasonably aligned incentives: he
wants to raise at the best valuation possible. We also have the ability to
terminate. In terms of it working I think, at this point we should be
looking to raise $2-5m. The real metrics are speed of closing (we want it
done in <= 6m), raising the "right" amount (we don't just want more), and
obviously valuation at which we raise.

Thoughts here are very welcome.

Rufus