[foundation-board] OSS and charity, 501c3

Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Thu Sep 22 14:32:55 UTC 2016

The folks at Yorba provided a thorough write up of their experience.
Note that that is from 2014; I don't know if anything has changed.

https://blogs.gnome.org/jnelson/2014/06/30/the-new-501c3-and-the-future-of-free-software-in-the-united-states/

On 22/09/16 13:55, Helen Turvey (King) wrote:
> This is what I know:
>

> The IRS declines all applications for NPO status for orgs that
> primarily produce FOSS, or appear to produce FOSS as their core
> business.  Their reasoning is that they are building something of
> commercial benefit for others and that has commercial value (never
> mind that it is free and not possible to lock down), or that that org
> does not derive direct commercial benefit - it is a blanket no.  This
> make it very diff for them to raise money as it cancels out anyone
> looking for a tax deduction, and those that will only fund 501c3's.
>
> See:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/us/politics/irs-scrutiny-went-beyond-the-political.html?_r=1
>
> and :
> http://blog.cashmusic.org/post/54699615496/the-problem-with-the-irs-and-open-source-logic
>
> HT
>
> On 19 September 2016 at 17:01, Tim Hubbard <timjph at gmail.com
> <mailto:timjph at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I wrote to Jamie Love, Director of Knowledge Ecology International
>     in US about whether he’d heard anything about 501c3 applications
>     being queried over OSS connections.  Apparently he hasn’t.  He’s
>     talking about sending in a FOIA to the IRS.  Are there any more
>     precise information I could send to him about stories on the US
>     side of organisations that have had trouble?
>
>     Best wishes,
>
>     Tim

>     Tim Hubbard
>     timjph at gmail.com <mailto:timjph at gmail.com> @timjph

> Helen Turvey (King)
>
> CEO
> Shuttleworth Foundation
>
> website: www.shuttleworthfoundation.org
> <http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org>
> twitter: @helenturvey

Jane Silber | CEO | Canonical
Dir: +44 (0)20 7630 2472 | Mob: +44 (0)7899 891 943
www.canonical.com | www.ubuntu.com