[foundation-board] follow up questions

Jane Silber jane.e.silber at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:15:42 UTC 2017

Thanks Mark- whenever you have time is fine.

On 21 Sep 2017 16:30, "Mark Gibbs" <mark.gibbs at okfn.org> wrote:


I just wanted you to know that I am working to update the Cash flow
forecast for, I have my working doc, however due to the criticality and
after being away for a few weeks I need to ensure that nothing has been
missed and align with the project teams..
If you don’t mind I will get this out to you and the board by the close of
business Monday.

Kind Regards

Mark Gibbs

On 20/09/2017, 09:08, "Jane Silber" <jane.silber at canonical.com> wrote:

    Hi Mark, Pavel -

    A couple follow up thoughts after a night of tossing and turning:

    1. One thing that wasn't clear to me in last night's conversation is
    cash flow - specifically, when is the cliff (at current spend rate)?

    This is different than the date by which we would need to make cuts,
    which needs to be well in front of the cliff (to Tim's point about not
    waiting until it's too late to cut).  But I think clarity on the cliff
    (i.e, "we can't pay bills or employees any more") will help bring focus
    to the speed at which we need to get the financial health on a better
    track in order to back away from that dangerous cliff edge.

    2.  I spent more time with the 2018 spreadsheet, and I can't understand
    the connection between the Income Pipeline tab and the income section on
    the OKI Planned Budget tab.  I don't see formulas which link the two
    tabs, nor do I see a clear correlation between the numbers.  Can you
    explain exactly how these two tabs are related?

    3. Related to #2 above, I can't tell how large the funding gap is. The
    budget has a deficit of -366K.  Does that mean we need to find an
    additional 366K in SAG, which implies additional 2018 overall funding of
    2.4M (at 15% rate) beyond what is in the budget?

    4. The other thing I'd like to mention with regards to the "safe"
    scenario budget you are preparing is that (in my opinion) we only want
    to make one round of cuts, as opposed to multiple rounds of shaving
    smaller pieces off.  The latter is much harder to recover from in terms
    of trust and morale. And while the former is much harder initially, it
    should ensure safety and provide an ability to regrow when finances
    allow.  If we end up in that scenario, I think we have to stomach deep
    cuts to ensure the future of the org rather than optimistic shaving of


foundation-board mailing list
foundation-board at lists.okfn.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.okfn.org/mailman/options/foundation-board
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.okfn.org/mailman/private/foundation-board/attachments/20170921/49566e0e/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the foundation-board mailing list