[geo-discuss] going forward: what should be done?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 15 11:30:26 UTC 2005

Welcome to all those who have just joined following the forum last
night. As a follow up to the discussions last night I'd like to raise a
couple of items:

1. Legal openness: what legal access do people want to geo data.

Giles talked extensively about the possibility of a something along the
lines of a Creative-Commons non-commercial licence. There was also a
discussion of the use of share-alike terms as a way of addressing the
problem of sustaining the quality of data as well as preventing the
proliferation of interests all with their own slice of rights.

Note: that while attention is generally focused on the OS, as we saw
last night, there are lots of other groups who have geo-data of interest
whose data could become more open

2. Social and technological openness

How could all groups, be it projects creating or using geodata, ensure
easier access to geo-data (for example by agreeing on common protocols
for exchange). I'd also like to know if local government have any plans
to either make available for bulk download in standard formats or to
provide a programmatic interface to their data much of which currently
seems only to be available to the public via human-only web-intefaces.

Regards,

Rufus