[geo-discuss] Re: Fwd: [ordnancemaps] Soviet Military Maps of UK

Sat Aug 20 19:02:36 UTC 2005

On 20 Aug 2005, at 19:26, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> [Moving to discuss as this seems a more appropriate]

You beat me to it - Jo had just suggested I do the same. :)

> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> Here's one from the Ordnance Survey discussion list (not OS
>> politics/licensing, rather the study and collection of OS maps).
>> The Soviet military maps represent an interesting potential source
>> for free geodata. OS has laid claim to partial copyright, and made
>> what (to me) sounded like quite a convincing case. But the message
>> below suggests there may be more to it than that.
>
> What was their case? That the Russians took the data from the OS? What
> is the copyright status of Russian maps in general?

Yes, that's what they said. See:
http://www.cartography.org.uk/Pages/Membership/DesignG/Copyrit5.html
http://www.cartography.org.uk/Pages/Membership/DesignG/Arch_3.html

All the pages in that series are worth reading. On another page,
there's the suggestion that there are no copyright issues whatsoever in
creating "derived works" from aerial photographs:

http://www.cartography.org.uk/Pages/Membership/DesignG/Copyrit1.html

I'd like to seek further advice on that, but if true, I'd advise
everyone to snap up a copy of the Getmapping aerial atlas of England!

Richard