[geo-discuss] Public Access to Maps and Data

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 13:03:19 UTC 2005

[Apologies for cross-posting]
-----------------------------
Some contributors to this list may be interested in a session on Public Access to Maps and Data at a summer school that I am organising in Cambridge this September. It is the annual summer school of the Society of Cartographers, and we have a morning session that includes presentations by 6 speakers and a Panel Discussion on the topic. The speakers are Roger Longhorn (policy analyst), Jo Walsh (co-author of Mapping Hacks), Richard Fairhurst and Ed Mac Gillavry (cartographers), Peter Cridland (IT manager for London Borough of Barnet) and Ed Parsons (CTO of the Ordnance Survey). There are also workshops and demos in the programme, including ones on Flash/SVG. The daily rate for attendance is a very reasonable £50. Why not coem along and participate in the debate? You might even influence policy makers, and even the OS! Full details of the summer school (including booking form) are at: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/www/gem/soc2005/

PS: at last year's summer school Saul Albert gave a very well received presentation entitled "Mapsploitation - can artists be trusted with cartography".

Cheers
STEVE

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk