[geo-discuss] A call for open access to geodata

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 6 18:51:35 UTC 2005

Great to see this Jo. Comments below.

Regards,

Rufus

Jo Walsh wrote:
> I see these five points as the core of a 'manifesto' on open access to
> state-collected geodata, and would appreciate critique or embellishment.

I think it might be worth clearing seperating 'wants' from 'reasons'.
Perhaps put the wants up front in a list and then have reasoning in
seperate section. For example distilled from below we'd have:

Core:
   1. All government geodata (including OS) licenced for non-commerical
use (see Giles' excellent draft
   2. All open geodata projects sharing a common or compatible licensing
policy along the lines of sharealike license.
   3. Common, open, protocols and formats for data interchange

Extra:
   4. Full commons: All government geodata licenced under a share-alike
licence.

Then after that i'd put all this material from WhyOpenGeodata (which i
think is excellent).

> * Access to public sector information should be a right.
>
> For public sector information to be exploited, it needs to be
> as widely available as possible. EU FOI laws heavily emphasise
> geographic data; 75% of the information generated by government
> has a spatial component.
>
> * With open geodata we can analyse public information better.
>
> Geographic data underpins civic services such as http://writetothem.com/
> and http://theyworkforyou.com/ . In the US, grassroots electoral
> mapping and campaign planning tools such as http://advokit.net/
> depend on freely available geodata.
>
> * Freely available data generates more economic activity.
>
> Opening the data leads to increased competitiveness in the service
> market, particularly in the mobile arena, and encourages innovation.

would also add the bigger pie aspect. OS already claims that 'their'
data enables some huge amount of economic activity (£100 billion was it
...?). If that is so we can say something like: opening up geodata and
reducing the cost of access would only need to generate an extra 1% of
commercial revenue over that currently being produced for any loss in
direct sales to be made up for in tax revenue.

> * The 'Commons' licensing model is a strong public good.
>
> An "Attribution-Sharealike" license would require the user to
> redistribute updates to the data; a middle way between commercial
> ipventures and state funding can be found, without resorting to
> unitive data usage charges.

typo. punitive is a bit strong. suggest: without necessitating data
charges that many potential uses and users.

> * The 'cost-recovery' user-pays model is a social failure.
>
> Over 50% of UK national mapping data sales are to government
> or government-funded organisations; a false economy of over 60M.
> Ordinary citizens and not-for-profit organisations can't afford
> the current expensive data licenses, and are reduced to supplication.

Might add that a 'commons' model might also save money on the production
side as well ....