[Publicwhip-playing] Re: [geo-discuss] Re: [Openstreetmap] Coders needed for similar project & UK FOI act request update.

Roger Longhorn ral at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 11 14:09:53 UTC 2005

Chris Lightfoot wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:41:57PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>

>>I think Roger is absolutely right formally on this. However should the
>>FOI request succeed surely that would imply that all British Citizens
>>are entitled to access to this data. If that were the case while re-use
>>would be prohibited why would redistribution to other (UK) individuals
>>be illegal -- it would simply be a quicker method of getting the data
>>than endless FOI requests by different citizens.
>>

>In practice there would presumably be a publication scheme.

Yes, _in practice_, all government departments _are _supposed to have
implemented Information Asset Registers (IARs) which are publicly
available, by which citizens can readily see what info assets (data)
these departments hold and what is available to see, plus implement
systems to make that info available preferably on-line.

Many government departments have proactive info dissemination systems
available via the web - but not all, and those that fail in this way are
being targetted to "do better" in the very near future. But many also
failed to realise just how much such proactive dissemination of
information - even the creation of the IARs - was going to cost in terms
not only of money (tax payers money, remember, which funds the
departments) but also the expertise to create such systems and then
maintain them on a long term basis.

RAL