[geo-discuss] Letter/PR plan and progress update

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Aug 29 12:03:13 UTC 2006

dear all,

1/

Press Release - I am quite happy now with
http://publicgeodata.org/Press_Release_Council_Letter
I've sent it to the OSGeo PR/Visibility people for sanity checking,
and hope for a response or no-response-okay by 5pm UTC+2 today.

Then Benjamin will do a FR translation of both the PR and the Open
Letter this evening, and Markus has also kindly offered to do a DE
one (for contacts at heise, and others). Given nothing explodes,
Benjamin will start sending this to his contacts at 8am UTC+2
tomorrow. I don't know the PR protocol, but I would imagine other
people should be welcome also to email their own contacts with this.

I think it makes a lot more sense to have clean flat files with .html
extensions and not much navigation for web copies of the three
language versions of the PR. The alternative is 3 pages on the wiki,
date in the pagenames and with ACLs on them. I'll make a template for
the .en one before I go this afternoon and should be back late on
tonight to check stuff over and make sure web things are ready and
look right.

2/

Letters - this afternoon i'm going to print and post letters for all
the translations we have now, and the ones that don't need
translation. Which at this point is just 8 letters.

I'm going to email some non-geo, semweb friends in nordic and baltic
and balkan countries which we have not covered and see if they are
able to help. Letters will get sent as soon as translations come in.
If by Monday we have countries that are not covered (like Maltese is
unlikely, right?) then letters will go in English - better than none
at all.

I'll archive the original .sxw files underneath okfn.org/geo and also
keep updates of what has been sent to whom, when, on
http://publicgeodata.org/Ministers_Contacted  (empty as yet)
(Paper letters go first and are probably most likely to elicit
faxing where fax details are available will come across as spam)

I think that's basically it.

jo