[geo-discuss] Re: [OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted

Daniel daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Tue Feb 28 15:44:53 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm sorry for cross-posting, but in this way, I'm at least sure to reach
everybody ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm overbooked theses times, but existing summaries of
the PGL "why and how" could be found on http://sig.cwriter.org/index.php
(mainly in french, but with an english translation of the license).

You can also find many interesting stuff in the PGL-Canada site:
http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/pgl (the OGUG set up an english
website for collaborative work upon PGL: contributing is still in my
huge to-do list ;-) )

Hope that will help.

Discussion about the license itself:

The main ideas when writing the PGL (Public Geodata License) was to:
1) reproduce the success of free software with free geodata. So we
choose to adapt a GPL-like license.
2) take care of the specificity of geodata, by specific obligations upon
metadata and traçability. To make this easy, the PGL doesn't define
metadata and traçability formats: it just make them mandatories.

Some other licenses could be used for geodata (creative commons, ...),
but none of them really take care of the importance of traçability and
metadata.
So I still think that the PGL project may be the right basis for free
geodata.

Note about the choice of a "GPL-like" license:

This point was discussed: e.g. , some peoples prefer licenses like the
BSD one.
For me, it's very important to ensure contributors that their work will
remain free in the future. I strongly think it's a great asset to gain
more and more contributors for free geodata projects.

Todo list: many work remain necessary to popularize and extend the idea
of such a free license: translations, explanations, presentations ...
Key peoples in free geodata projects (like openstreetmap) should play a
very important role, by showing the way for future licensing models. Do
not forget these two assets:
1) metadata
2) traçability

Best regards,