[geo-discuss] Fw: Re: [Freegis-list] INSPIRE directive on the way to enforce copyright on state-collected geo data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Jan 4 19:42:34 UTC 2006

----- Forwarded message from strk <strk at keybit.net> -----

From: strk <strk at keybit.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:18:31 +0100
To: Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org>
Cc: freegis-list at intevation.de, jo at frot.org,
	Thomas <thomas at xicnet.com>

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:51:53PM +0100, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I exchanged several mails with the MEP rapporter on INSPIRE directive to
> know her position on copyright issues and amendments.
>
> It will not be possible to introduce new amendments in second reading as
> far as I can see, so if the INSPIRE directive is adopted, this one will
> enforce copyright on state-collected geo data in all member states of
> the EU.
>
> The Council has reached a majority in supporting copyright for
> state-collected geo data, and this issue of Public Domain Vs strong
> copyright has not been discussed by civil society organisations.
>
> If this directive will go through without any resistance from the civil
> society or the industry, you can forget about geo-data in the public
> domain for the future.

Isn't the fight about licensing rather then copyright ?
Would that be any enforcement on the kind of licensing the
data would be available under ? Can we push on that aspect ?

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
  X     Keep e-mail messages readable by any computer system.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.

----- End forwarded message -----