[geo-discuss] Fw: Re: Fw: INSPIRE Democratic Process 1/2006

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 11:30:46 UTC 2006

I had an very interesting discussion the other week, with someone who's worked closely with, but relatively neutral to, the Commission and various National Mapping Agencies.

I raised the concerns discussed here and by Chris Corbin's diligent communication; The legislative process has been far from transparent, and that ambiguity over the nature of public access and recoup of costs could lead to a dreadful situation like the expensive licensing in the UK.

He felt that in practical terms, this was unlikely. National governments are committed to the spirit of open and free access to geodata. Their main concern is not costs, but security. There is a need to review the nature and level of detail in layers released to the public. For example, detailed data on dykes in the Netherlands could expose vulnerabilities and potential terrorism targets. Which I must admit does seem a valid concern. Yet, security concerns are the favorite obstructionist tactic of governments everywhere, so there's a danger of intentional or unintentional delay in public release.

[ As an aside, security concerns are the reason map making is a licensable activity in many countries -- governments need assurances that the level of data released in not threatening. I thought this was interesting in light of projects like OpenStreetMap. The level of detail generated, and potentially generated, by OSM would probably not trigger any alarms. Still it would be good to know more about the specifics, if anyone was aware. ]

There is another piece of legislation, or perhaps a treaty, among countries containing watersheds of the Danube and Rhine, covering a number facets including environment, commerce, and mapping. (Sorry, I don't recall the name of this agreement -- any ideas? Maybe related to http://europeandcis.undp.org/WaterWiki/index.php/Convention_on_the_Protection_and_Use_of_Transboundary_Watercourses_and_International_Lakes). Apparently, a portion of the treaty says that each country must publicly share it's mapping data, in a common specification. This may only apply to areas adjacent to the rivers, but perhaps will form the basis of further public disclosure as stipulated by Inspire.

So a bit of hearsay. Is there anything here that can be verified?

In any case, assurances that INSPIRE is not really a problem is not enough, and actions to increase pressure for open public geo data and open governmental processes are definitely needed. It would be especially interesting to hear perspectives directly from the NMAs.

Cheers
Mikel